By choosing Hebel® you can feel good in the knowledge that you have chosen a building material that is better for our environment. The unique innovation that is Hebel® delivers a large number of key environmental benefits over comparable materials.
To clarify these environmental benefits Hebel® has worked with Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) to conduct a life cycle assessment (LCA) to the international standard ISO 14 024 comparing Hebel® to other building products with the same application. Life cycle assessment is the leading methodology used to quantify the environmental impacts over a product’s entire life including: raw material, extraction, production, during use and disposal at end of the product life.This independent assessment found that Hebel® has clear environmental benefits across all key environmental criteria. These include global warming, acidification, heavy metal content, carcinogens, smog creation, cumulative energy demand, water use and solid waste generation. In many cases the environmental benefits were well over 60% better than comparable materials.
The low bulk density of Hebel® AAC means that less than a quarter of the resources and raw materials are used in its production than for other masonry products. All raw materials are sourced local to minimise energy used in transport.
Hebel® is made from Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) – an amazingy innovative building material. The Hebel® production process is ecologically responsible with very little waste produced and we have a passion to reduce waste further through extensive recycling. Production waste, slurry and even the steam generated are recycled back into the manufacturing process while waste steel and oil are recycled off site.
Hebel® PowerWall uses over 60% less embodied energy than comparative concrete and brick veneer wall systems.
The combination of modular panel sizes which are designed to suit standard building practices and the ease of working with standard power tools means there is very little waste on site during construction. This means less mess and less landfill due to leftover building materials. Hebel® products are non toxic and don’t emit any gases, another reason why they are an increasingly popular choice for people concerned with building a healthy, environmentally responsible home or building.
Environmental Award for Hebel
To qualify for the GECA endorsement, Hebel® products and systems were assessed against the GECA 8-2005 Environmentally Innovative Products Standard. The assessment found Hebel®products and systems have significantly reduced environment loads, of at least 30% over their life-cycle, for the top three primary environmental impacts and in some cases the benefits were even stronger. In comparison to competitor products on the Australian market which serve the same functional purpose, around 50% less greenhouse gases and 50% less carcinogens were produced as verified by the GECA.
Mr Petar Johnson, Chairman of GECA stated that “Hebel® products and systems have clear environmental performance benefits compared to most other widely used products in the construction industry in Australia. We expect to see a growing demand for this produce line as more architects, builders and construction firms grapple with the environmental performances of their designs. Hebel® should be recognised as the leading wall, floor and sound barrier solution for Australia.”
The GECA label is a clear and credible guide for consumers who want to purchase products with lower environmental impacts and it is the only environmental labeling program in Australia that independently assesses the environmental performance of products from a life cycle perspective.
The Good Environmental Choice Label is based on an internationally agreed framework; ISO 14 024 requiring the establishment of detailed standard and on-site verification of compliance (www.geca.org.au).
The choice of one product over another on environmental grounds is becoming more and more critical. Hebel® asks you to consider the GECA Label and choose products with low environmental impacts so we can all contribute to a better environment.
CSR Hebel is 100% owned by CSR Building Products Limited, one of Australia’s leading building products companies. CSR Hebel manufactures and markets a range of lightweight Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) blocks, reinforced PowerPanels, cladding and lintels for use in the housing and commercial construction industry. CSR Hebel also sells complementary mortars, tools and accessories.
In 1989, CSR became involved with Hebel and established the Australian operation. Since then, Hebel has won wide acceptance as an innovative and environmentally friendly building material due to its speed of construction, excellent thermal/fire/acoustic properties and its design versatility.
As environmental consciousness and social responsibility increases, CSR Hebel is striving to exceed these ideals and set new standards in building materials and residential living.
Designed for Inner Comfort
With Hebel PowerWall clients can enjoy a comfortable interior in their home, and be comfortable with their choice for the environment.Manufacture of Hebel materials uses a small fraction of the energy and natural resources used in manufacturing conventional masonry, producing almost no waste or by-products. Hebel’s highly efficient insulation also saves power in heating or cooling the home.
Designed for Inner Peace
Hebel PowerWall helps you create a tranquil inner space. We have worked closely with acoustic experts and testing authorities to engineer inherently superior acoustics from our wall and floor systems. They create a sound barrier to external noise and from other rooms within the home.
Designed for Peace of Mind
lthough it’s remarkably lightweight, Hebel is solid and durable. Hebel PowerPanel is reinforced with steel for extra strength. Hebel is also extremely fire-resistant and is not a food source for termites.
Designed to Save
As they’re lightweight, Hebel materials are quick to assemble, saving building time and costs. They also minimise the need for supporting materials, saving budget resources and energy.
Use Hebel for Better Framed Construction
- Using Hebel PowerPanel for your framed construction provides you with cost savings and greater floor space for the same building dimensions.
- Hebel PowerPanel is faster to install than bricks, saving on building costs.
- Hebel products are lightweight, reducing the structural load on the frame and its design requirements for supporting building materials.
- Their low weight makes Hebel PowerPanels ideal for use in difficult applications such as sloping sites. An external wall of Hebel PowerPanels is steel-reinforced, solid and secure.
- Hebel PowerPanels have better thermal efficiency than brick veneer or even double brick walls, resulting in reduced heating and cooling costs. Further thermal efficiency may be achieved by adding insulation to the frame cavity.
- Hebel is fire-resistant, with a fire rating of up to four hours.
Hebel PowerWall for Detached Houses & Low Rise Multi-Residential External Walls has been designed for homes built using either timber or steel framing and can be used in new dwelling construction, extensions or re-cladding. The system consists of 75mm thick, steel-reinforced Hebel PowerPanels, fixed vertically to horizontal battens attached to the load-bearing frame. For quick, clean construction, Hebel PowerPanels can be ordered in the stock lengths of 2400mm, 2700mm and 3000mm and in widths of 300mm and 600mm. The 600mm wide PowerPanels are also available in the additional lengths of 1200mm, 2550mm and 2850mm.
Fig. 1.1 Panel Installation
- With Hebel PowerWall, your home will reach lockup stage sooner.
- The installation of Hebel PowerWall is very fast, especially on purpose-designed houses.
- Any competent tradesperson can easily install Hebel PowerWall. Two people can install up to 100m2 of external wall in about three days.
- The modular design of the dwelling minimises waste.n A standard 2400mm Hebel PowerPanel weighs about 74kg when delivered*, which two people can position. No cranes are required.
- Hebel PowerWall gives you great freedom in designing your home and you can customise the style by applying coloured and textured coatings to the PowerPanels.
- A thinner external wall results in greater internal living space and design flexibility. A 50mm reduction in external wall thickness can provide about 2% extra internal space for the same external dimensions.
- Hebel PowerWall is a solid choice. It’s extremely strong, and each Hebel PowerPanel is steel reinforced.
- Capable of up to four hours fire resistance for a fire source on the PowerPanel side.
- Hebel PowerPanel does not provide a food source for vermin or termites.
Lower Energy Costs
- As with all Hebel products, Hebel PowerPanel has excellent thermal properties. This feature results in lower heating and cooling costs at no additional building expense.
* Calculated at 30% moisture content. At 4% equilibrium moisture content, the PowerPanel would weigh approximately 60kg.
Hebel® PowerBlocks are large AAC blocks, laid in much the same way as bricks but using Hebel® Adhesive to form a monolithic structure. Typically, external walls use a single skin of 250mm thick blocks while internal, non-loadbearing walls use 100mm thick blocks.
Walls built with Hebel® PowerBlocks are strong and durable, providing you with the security of solid masonry with the added advantages that the unique nature of Hebel® AAC can deliver.
Compared to traditional double brick construction, Hebel® Block Walls can be laid much faster, saving time and building costs. Building with Hebel® PowerBlocks creates more internal floor area for the same building dimensions.
Building with Hebel® PowerBlocks provides loadbearing walls that completely eliminate combustible material from the wall construction making Hebel® an ideal choice for bushfire prone areas.
- Exceptional thermal and acoustic insulation properties
- Non-combustible blocks with frameless construction deliver superior fire resistance
- 73% less embodied energy and 61% less greenhouse gas emissions than comparative masonry products*
- Not a food source for termites or vermin and no cavity construction eliminates the chance of harbouring pests
* Source: LCA Report GECA 2006